Sunday, October 9, 2022

Blog Post #5: Adaptive Technology Resource

    This week's topic and content hit really close to home for me.  Due to experiences in my own life, I have always worked hard to make my classroom, and now library, an inclusive space for everyone.  It has always been my belief that all students deserve a learning experience that allows them to experience success.  This might look a bit different for each person, and technology has certainly added some wonderful options to make it easier. 

    A few years ago, when trying to find ways to help one of my students struggling with reading and writing, I discovered Mote.  According to their website, "Mote is the audio toolkit for educators and learners across the world- integrated into the products you know and love" (Mote | Fast, Friendly Voice Notes & Feedback, n.d.).  This extension was easy to add and learn to use.  It allowed me to record voice snip-its of directions, questions or even extra hints or assistance and add it to assignments I created with Google Slides and Forms.  This allowed all of my students the ability to listen to the directions or questions if needed.  It proved extra helpful to my struggling readers as it gave them an added layer of assistance without needing me standing right beside them.  I also allowed students to type their answer and then record themselves with Mote reading their answer or providing further explanation.  My students who struggled with written expression found this to be especially helpful as it gave them the chance to show what they really knew without their spelling or writing errors being an obstacle.  Through the use of Mote, I began to see my students become more confident in their abilities and more willing to participate in class.  They also began to view their struggles as something they could work through instead of a brick wall that stopped them from learning like everyone else.  


                                                                          (What Is a Mote?, n.d.)

    The mote extension can be added through the Mote Homepage or the Google Chrome Web Store.  Once added, the extension can be used with a variety of Google programs including Forms, Sheets, Slides and Classroom.  I also love the fact that the students can hear the message, but also see the transcription.  Another great feature is that students have the ability to transcribe this into a variety of languages.  This makes it a great way to help ESOL students.  

    There are a lot of great resources available to help others get started with Mote.  Below are a few that I found to be particularly helpful.

https://www.eduporium.com/blog/rising-resources-mote-for-student-feedback/

https://www.educatorstechnology.com/2021/04/mote-new-way-to-add-audio-feedback-to.html

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL28_-psho_6SvB76A9ZstMKdhGRN340N2

https://shakeuplearning.com/blog/15-ways-to-use-mote-in-the-classroom-suls0107/


References 

Mote | fast, friendly voice notes & feedback. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.mote.com/

What is a mote? (n.d.). [Video]. Retrieved from https://www.mote.com/what-is-a-mote

3 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I am excited to try Mote - I have not used it before, but I know that you always have had a heart for accessibility and so I am sure you found an excellent resource. I always love your finger use when conveying something visually as well - have you ever thought of your pointer finger as adaptive tech? You do a lot of things to help students focus and get the information they need and Mote is just another example. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl,
    I had not heard of Mote before I read your post. I explored it a little bit, and it is a nice resource. I teach two DHH students who use FM system devices, but I also think I can use Mote to help even my non-DHH students. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl! When I taught virtual school during the Covid 19 lockdown, I used Mote to give feedback on Google Classroom assignments. I had read research that found that students responded better to oral feedback than written feedback. It was actually a time saver for me and I certainly could tell that my students were taking in the feedback better than before! It's a great resource!

    ReplyDelete

Blog #9- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality

This week's topic was one that I have been waiting to explore!  When I first took over the library at my school, I came across a few boo...