Sunday, November 20, 2022

Blog #9- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality

This week's topic was one that I have been waiting to explore!  When I first took over the library at my school, I came across a few books in our collection that offered an app which brought some of the pages "to life".  While I was unsure if students were actually aware of this, I, myself was fascinated!  As I researched, I came across quite the variety of other books with augmented reality options. (Examples linked here.)  I will definitely be adding some to my next book order and planning lessons to introduce this feature to the students.  

While introducing augmented reality and virtual reality to the library can seem costly and overwhelming, these books don't require anything more than technology that the students already have- a phone, an iPad or a Chromebook.  For me, this makes it a great starting point!  

Photo by stem.T4L on Unsplash
Image of young boy and girl using Virtual Reality googles in front of a background printed with hot air balloons.

"Students will gain immeasurably from the enhanced delivery of information on a particular topic through VR or AR and the multiple means by which the student can become proficient in the basic information literacy skills culminating is successful search for information, using every tool at his or her disposal to complete their academic assignments" (Massis, 2015). 


I strongly believe this to be true. When students are able to fully interact with books and text, they learn while having fun.  This encourages them to explore deeper into the content.  As an educator, I am always looking for more ways to engage students and encourage text exploration.

In my search, I came across several other resources to help bring this to your students!

The Techie Teacher

School Library Journal

Video about Augmented Reality Toy Story 4 book.
Video from Little Learning Corner


References

Massis, B. (2015). Using virtual and augmented reality in the library. New Library World, 116(11/12), 796–799. https://doi.org/10.1108/nlw-08-2015-0054

Little Learning Corner. (2020, July 7). Toy Story Augmented Reality Books for Kids [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ePhBllu9ZY&feature=youtu.be


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog #9- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality

This week's topic was one that I have been waiting to explore!  When I first took over the library at my school, I came across a few boo...