Sunday, October 16, 2022

Blog #6- Social Media and the School Library

Thanks to this week's assignment, the existing Twitter page for my school library got a fresh look!  When I started as the librarian last year, the Twitter page was passed on to me.  Unfortunately, in the hustle and bustle of learning my new job, social media was not a top priority and the page sat unused until now.  Because it already had a good following, I decided to give it a fresh look and make it active once again! I used Canva to create a new banner that included our favorite quote in the library and kept our school logo as the profile photo.  

In the past this account has been used to share things happening in the library as well as other events in and around the school.  Students, families and teachers involved in literacy and learning have all be showcased.  I would like to continue this, but also want to include posts about books that we share with students each week.  I think that this would allow families an opportunity to discuss particular stories or topics with their students and perhaps continue to read and explore the topic at home.  


I know that social media plays a large role in today's society.  People use it as a source of information, inspiration and creativity.  I would love for the content on the library Twitter page to encourage families to read and discuss books, showcase all of the great learning that happens in the library and to help the community see that the library isn't always a quiet, independent space.  Many of our activities encourage collaboration, cooperation and self control- all of which are important lifelong skills.  As mentioned in Jan Wilson's article, Make Your Library More Visible,  "We have the opportunity to design innovative lessons by fostering collaboration and to show students how to present their learning in multiple formats."  The library Twitter page will be a wonderful place to show off all that we do! 



References
Wilson, J. (2017). Make Your Library More Visible. School Library Journal, 16–17.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog #9- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality

This week's topic was one that I have been waiting to explore!  When I first took over the library at my school, I came across a few boo...